April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

IronKids Bread

When I was a kid my parents were health freaks. We could only have carbonated beverages once in a blue moon. We never had any kind chips or little snacky foods unless it was graham crackers. We ate balanced meals EVERY night. You can ask my brothers. One night Parker stayed at the table 'til the wee hours of the morning until he ate all of his spinach. When he finally ate it, he threw it all up. (Okay, maybe it wasn't the wee hours of the morning, but we always ate dinner at six o'clock, and it was definitely dark outside by the time he finished.) When I went to my friend Keri's house, I always pigged out on Domino's Pizza, Dr. Pepper, and Dorito's until I was sick.

The worst thing, though, was that we had to eat wheat bread. That's right, when most kids were eating PB&J with Sunbeam with the crust cut off, the Duffey kids were eating whole wheat bread and turkey. I HATED it. I always asked my mom for IronKids Bread. "Mama, it has just as much calcium as wheat bread! It says so on the commercial." But my mom wasn't havin' it. She knew what refined flour would do to a kid's intestines.

But here's the kicker: My mom bought a loaf of the Kroger equivalent of IronKids Bread a couple of months ago. Maybe more than a couple of months. In fact, I'll say it's been a few months. I haven't touched the stuff, but prefer my 9-grain wheat bread. And, yes, the "IronKids Bread" is still around. Not a speck of mold. (Months, I tell you.) Mmm, preservatives. (The commercial didn't say anything about that.)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is hilarious, Lauren. I love it!! See, we had no wonderbread in Germany when I was little. Sure, it existed. But no German parent would have fed that to their kids. We were raised on very grainy pumpernickel, multi-grain bread, etc., well, and good white rolls: but they were sourdough. To this day I adore good bread and will entirely be in heaven at Panera's (which is where I got taken out to lunch to today, good day!!). The first thing I'll eat when I get home is as many dark, grainy rolls as I can find in our house. And I HATE the kind of white bread that's immediately gone when you stick it in your mouth like cotton candy. I always joke that, along with travel squeeze tubes of peanut butter and of jelly, you could just put the entire PBJ in a squeeze tube. White bread consistency wouldn't have trouble coming out of a tube... ;o)

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love me some wheat bread . . . It's good stuff. But I'll say this: Wonder Bread is incredible. It's the only white bread I eat because it definitely does NOT crumble! In fact, it's the perfect consistency to make balls of bread with.

Also . . . Europe is known for its great bread. When you have so many bread options before you, you don't have to settle for the same old square slices. America just doesn't have as many bakeries all over the place. But honestly, it's okay for me because I do like the neatness of sliced bread. It satisfies an inherent desire for order in me . . .

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to sliced, I like potato bread.

My grandfather is a fantastic baker; I miss his homemade rolls especially.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, I hadn't ever tasted potato bread until I lived in New York. It is definitely not a Southern thing. But I really like it, too.

I'm pretty much a starch/carb addict. I have to reign myself in sometimes. The only bread that I absolutely HATE is rye bread. I've never liked it. Can't explain why. Just the twang of it... Ughh.

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a starch/carb addict too. I love pretzels even more than I love chocolate, and sourdough even more than I love carrots. Which is saying quite a lot.

I also love rye however. It's like bread mixed with pickles.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Barf.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rye??hahahaha ^_^
its like a bland name ;)
That's why i named my manga character after it!!!
....
That was soo random!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Rye??? Thats such a bland name ^_^
Tat's y i named my manga character after it.....!!!
...O_o''
That was random ;)!

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ack!!
My bad!!
Dogh >-<''''
sorry..
it camy upy 2wice!!
i hav been revealed -_-''

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>