April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Mama Jo

I talked to my grandma for a few hours tonight. She is, without a doubt, one of my soulmates. She understands me like no one else ever has. Gosh, I love that woman.

Without getting too sentimental -- nah. You know what? I'm going to get sentimental. I don't do it often.

Mama Jo (that's what we call her) will be 82 this year. She's still taking care of my grandpa who has Alzheimer's. She has really bad arthritis. And the problems with my grandpa have led her to a pretty severe state of depression. But Mama Jo hardly ever complains. She listens with patience to everyone else's problems (including mine). She sees and understands people with a depth that I will probably never reach. She has such compassion for others because she does see them so wholly. Being around her for even ten minutes confirms my belief in a loving Creator and the goodness of others.

When I'm around her, I just unload all of the thoughts and feelings that I haven't told anyone or even expressed fully to myself. She just draws it out of me with a kind word and a half-smile. She is the deepest thinker I know. She sees everything as it truly is -- all of the faults and perfections. She sees so many dimensions to people that I could only hope to see.

I can't explain her. I can't describe her. She is who I want to become.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. Your Mama Jo is a wonderful person. I remember when we were little, we used to go over there and play in her pool, in the yard, in her basement. She was always so sweet!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yep. Remember making mud pies and "soup" out of polk salad?

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the mud pies but I think I blocked out the polk salad soup!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>