April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

I just finished a really amazing book by Don DeLillo (Mao II). I spent most of the day reading it. It's a really "postmodern" book -- and it's written in a semi stream of consciousness style. It addresses the idea of time quite a bit. (What postmodern book doesn't, right?) So I've been thinking about time today -- how I measure it, its relevance, time as an abstraction.

And I've realized that I hate the idea of time more than I hate the idea of money. Quickly lapsing time or slowly moving time makes me feel more miserable than quickly vanishing money or money that's burning a hole in my pocket. A lack of time is worse than a lack of money.

So why is that? I think it's because you can always acquire money, or at least have the hope of acquiring money. But time equals life, and when we lose even a second, we lose life.

Time is an abstraction I could live without. Because I wanted my cozy, gray Sunday to last forever. Really. I wanted that book to last forever.

And I really didn't want to think about the Jane Austen paper I have to write.

What say you?

(Interesting. Time and Money. Two songs on Dark Side of the Moon. Deep man. Real deep.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Hm. I don't know how I feel about this because I feel like I have neither time nor money. If I had more time, I could probably make more money, but if I had more money, I would probably have more time (because I wouldn't have to work as much, etc.).

It's a tricky question, and one that I don't think I can really answer, but I will say this: I wish time would go by faster at this juncture in life. Sometimes I get tired of waiting.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ahh, but Sara, I think the problem is that you're thinking of it as waiting. Waiting always makes time go by slower than if you're havin' fun.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."

Douglas Adams, how I miss you.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>