April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Diggin' in the Dirt

I just had a telephone conversation with two of my cousins. Karis is five and Ethan is three and a half. I REALLY wish I had a picture of these kids. They are two of the cutest kids in the world. No exaggeration.

This might not be fun for anyone but me, but I thought it was really cute.

Here's how the conversation went with Ethan:

Ethan: Hey.
Lauren: Hey, Ethan! What's up?
E: Umm, Karis just hit me in the head.
L: Ohh, that's no fun. But that's what big sisters do sometimes.
E: Why?
L: I don't know. But little brothers hit, too. Right? Did you know I'm a big sister?
E: No. Did you hit your brothers?
L: Yep. Sure did. But they hit me, too.
E: But you don't hit them no more?
L: Nope 'cause they got bigger than me. Now I like 'em.
E: You like 'em now that you're growed-up?
L: Yep.
E: But guess what! Next year I'm gonna be at the same school as Karis! At the pre-K!
L: Whoa. Man. You're getting old, huh?
E: Yep. I'm gettin' BIIIIG.

-- Then Karis gets the phone --

Karis: Hey, Lauren.
Lauren: Hey, Karis! Whatcha doin'?
K: Well, me and Ethan were diggin' outside and I got dirt in my eye.
L: Ow. Did it hurt?
K: No. It just felt...(long pause)...dirty.
L: Oh, well, I'm glad it didn't hurt.
K: But I don't really know how dirty feels, though.
L: Me, either. What were you digging for?
K: Lava.
L: Whoa, cool! D'you find any?
K: Not yet, but we're gonna dig tomorrow, too.
L: You know what? My brothers and I used to dig on this big dirt hill. We were looking for buried treasure. We didn't ever find any, though.
K: You're so silly! You can't find treasure in Georgia!
L: Yeah, I guess we're not close enough to the ocean, huh?
K: Nope. But if we lived closer to where Pirates live, you would probably find some.
L: Yeah, you're probably right.
K: But we do live close to Florida!
L: Yeah, have you been to Florida recently?
K: Yes! Very recently! I went with my daddy's cousin. He likes for us to call him (something in Turkish). That means big brother. Okay, 'bye!

Man, I love kids.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE that you can find lava in Georgia, but not treasure. Love it.

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

brilliant... digging for lava and pirates.

amazing

9:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HELLO, SARA! Georgia is on a fault line--DUH!

You're really good with kids, Lauren. I wish I could communicate better with these people called "children."

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds adorable!

I have nothing substantive to contribute, but I like the title of this post because it also the title of one of my favourite Peter Gabriel songs.

12:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>