April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Proof that I'm getting old

I was looking at the Bonnaroo Festival (in Tennessee) line-up today. Sweet. Radiohead, Sonic Youth, Beck, Ben Folds, Death Cab, My Morning Jacket, Cat Power...

I mean, that's a great line-up, right? Before I even looked at the price of the tickets, I saw an aerial photo of the grounds where the festival is held. I saw the quadrillion cars in the parking lot. I saw the absence of trees and shade. I pictured the little indie teenagers that go to outdoor festivals.

And I realized... I am no longer a teenager, and I don't care if Radiohead and Sonic Youth are playing -- the thought of three days of teenagers making out, sweaty people bumping into me, beer getting spilled all over me, and the inevitable second-hand buzz from my neighbors just doesn't seem as fun to me.

Memories of Warped Tour circa 1998 will, in fact, remain memories.

For those of you that are braver/younger than I am, here's the link to the festival website.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I've never been young. I've never liked the idea of concerts. My attending one is usually a sign of *fanatical* devotion to the artist/group in question (as with U2 or Bauhaus), or my appreciation of the people accompanying me.

I had a similar moment of revelation last year, and it haunts me to this day. I mentioned the tearing down of the Berlin Wall, and only myself and the professor remembered the event. The other students had only read about it in history books.

1:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've never been one to go to those all-day concerts. It WOULD be fun, but I guess I'm just not usually willing to spend the money.

It would be great to see Radiohead live -- wait, I DID see them live about 2 or 3 years ago. Wait, when WAS that???

I don't like their new music as much, though. Ah, to have been able to attend concerts in middle school. Which bands would I have seen? Weezer, Nirvana, Radiohead, Silverchair, The Cranberries, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam . . . If I were really rich, I would've gone to Germany for the 1994 Pink Floyd concert. Man. That woulda been good.

9:00 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, I was with you at the Radiohead concert. Man, that was a good concert. It was right after they released Hail to the Thief in 2003.

I agree with every single band you listed. And I'll add that I would've loved to have seen Green Day (after releasing 1039/Smoothed Out Slappy Hour), The Smashing Pumpkins (Siamese Dream), Pixies (any of their albums), Bush (Sixteen Stone)... this list could go on for a while.

But I have a related post coming up about this very thing -- music of the mid-90's.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lauren...

you forgot one thing:

it's about the music man

that is a great line up, but us old people have jobs and stuff.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Right. Music. I forgot.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good call. remember that Siren thing at Coney Island. people stank. and that was at only 11 in the morning! My recommendation is that you save up your pennies and next year you and I will go to Glastonbury. It's three days, but they have the best bands and the best atmosphere. And no worries about sun and sweat, it's England in early June, it usually rains!! I've always wanted to go.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

It's a deal. (But I didn't go to the Siren Festival for some reason. Too many girl bands maybe? I can't remember.)

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>