April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Synchronicity

I'm not a big fan of the "Shuffle Songs" feature on my iPod. I don't use it that much because I feel like randomly playing songs doesn't, I don't know, juxtapose them well. I have so many different kinds of music on my iPod, from punk rock, to jazz, to acoustic ballads, to soundtracks, etc. that, a lot of times, songs sound awful right beside each other. I mean, The Pixies right after Beethoven? It just... doesn't work.

But I'm slowly starting to like shuffle. I end up fast forwarding through about 70% of the songs to get to the next ones, but still, there are a lot of songs that are buried that get uncovered by using shuffle.

I've had two instances of synchronicity occur while using "shuffle" lately. You know, just random occurences that coincide with what's going on at the moment.

The other day I was lost somewhere in the outskirts of Atlanta (there are a lot of outskirts) and I pulled up to the intersection of Peachtree Industrial Boulevard and Longview Drive at the exact second that Longview by Green Day came on. Weird.

Then yesterday I was driving to Atlanta from Wedowee (Alabama). As I literally crossed the Alabama/Georgia line and looked at a sign that said, "Welcome. We're glad Georgia is on your mind," Ray Charles' "Georgia on My Mind" started playing. I love it when that kind of thing happens.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Hey. Maybe Synchronicity should be the name of my blog...

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem with shuffle features. I didn't like them before I got my iPod and I'm still not fond of them now. Somehow VNV Nation's "Fearless" just doesn't sound right after Stars' "Look Up," and neither of them works with Led Zeppelin's "When The Levee Breaks."

I used to have moments like that in High School. Whenever this girl Pixie came up to me, Depeche Mode's "Black Celebration" seemed to be playing.

"Synchronicity" would be a nice title, but it lacks that personal touch we've come to associate with you...

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh. Uh...never mind?

*chagrined*

11:37 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, I'm just sick of the whole "Duff" thing. That's what all of the coaches at my high school called me. And it sounds like a guy. Or a beer.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

P.S. Sara's the only one that's come up with any names for my blog. (Minus Ian's "Duff Love.")

I'm not completely sold on "synchronicity" but you people aren't exactly helping...

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever my creative energies fail me, I just take a line from a poem, play or song that I am enjoying at the moment. That's why my LJ is presently sporting something from "Troilus & Cressida."

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>