April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Who IS This Person I've Become?

I looked in the mirror a couple of days ago, and was a little shocked -- for a split second -- to not recognize my own face. I had colored my hair a little darker, I was tan (for me, anyway), and I was wearing (fake) diamond stud earrings (which I never wear). Has that ever happened to you? It was a weird shock to the system.

And today? I am currently wearing 4 1/2 inch heels to do housework.

Also, the jeans I am wearing are skin tight.

Let me explain: I'm trying to break in the shoes I'm wearing for the wedding in a couple of weeks. I have never worn heels this high or skinny. They're strappy, too, so I have to work on my balance. And the jeans? I bought shorts the other day that were size 6. They fit, so I bought a pair of jeans that are size 6 without trying them on. They don't fit. If I lose the 5 more lbs. that I have left to lose, I'll fit into them. But I thought maybe if I wore them enough, they'd get looser and I could wear them. (Because right now, I have no jeans that fit me. I'm between an 8 and a 6, apparently.)

I feel like one of those crazy housewives from the 50s that wore heels while vacuuming.

(Remember this picture?)

UPDATE: After reading this post the next day, I realize that the whole size discourse could be misconstrued as boastful or bragging. But you know what? Maybe it's not misconstruing 'cause, dang it, I'm proud. I have NEVER fit into a 6. EVER. I went from a girls' size 14 to a juniors' 9 in SEVENTH GRADE. And don't worry, I'm not becoming this shallow person. But it feels good to have a healthy self-image for once.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fuzzy White Dogs said...

Shoot, I don't blame you a bit! If I could wear a size 6 I'd blog about it, talk about it, maybe even have a plane fly across the sky with my name and "size 6" trailing behind it on a streamer! Congrats -- any time a woman in our society manages to have positive self-esteem it's something to celebrate!!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Lauren, that is great! Wear tight jeans! Heck, I pretty much paint my jeans on! Wear your 4 inch heals! It is OK to like it! Be proud of it! You have accomplished a great goal!

You look wonderful, gorgeous, GREAT!! My motto is, "It is not what you wear, it is how you wear it". So if you feel like wearing tight jeans, heels, even rhinestones, wear 'em girl, LOUD AND PROUD!!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ha! Thanks, guys! I'm comin' around. It's a weird feeling, though, wearing clothes I NEVER would have worn 6 months and 25 lbs. ago.

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>