April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Dog Lady*

I just had a bad, albeit passing, thought.

There’s a guy in one of my classes that I think is pretty attractive. So in class I was thinking, “Hmm. I wonder what it would be like to date him. I wonder if we would get along.” (By the way, I think we would.) Then I started thinking about what our, umm, courtship would be like. (Because, c’mon, we all do it. Especially in class when we’re bored.)

Then I thought about how relationships always start -- about the stress, the nervousness, the fear that you won’t be accepted by the other person as readily as you accept them. I thought about the “what will I WEAR?!?” moments, and the lack of appetite. All of that stuff.

And then I concluded – and here’s the scary part – that it was too much trouble. Too much stress.

Uh-oh. I’m lapsing into old age, people. I’m getting stuck in my ways. This is not good. Not good at all. What can I do? I want to get married, but am I really willing to go through all the dating b.s. to get to that point? I am. I know I am. And if the opportunity arose, I’d jump at it. (I hope.) I am, however, a little more than hesitant to go out of my way to make that opportunity happen in the first place. I’ve initiated relationships in the past, but I think those days might be over.

I’m really, REALLY hoping that this isn’t a sign of the beginnings of resignation. No. No, I won’t let it be.

*I call this post "Dog Lady" because I'm allergic to cats.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

You're hilarious! And so honest. We so all think about that but don't admit it ;o)

1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had similar experiences lately. People trying to hook me up with relatives, encouraging me to ask others out, or even asking me out themselves. I give it a shot, but each time I think "Meh, too much work for too little reward."

I love cats though.

1:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>