April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Writing Exercise #13: GOD

Write a narrative through God's point-of-view. ("Since God should know how to be efficient and get right to the point, do this exercise in only 200 words.")

They showed her a painting in Sunday School when she was four. It was a picture of an old man in a cloud looking down and smiling. He had a long, gray beard and kind eyes. That’s the god she pictures when she wonders about me. She watched a lot of Care Bears when she was little, and they would watch people through their telescopes in the clouds and then go down to earth and help people. Sometimes she pictures me, on a cloud, watching the world through a telescope like the Care Bears.

She catches a glimpse of me sometimes when she doesn’t expect to. Stares me right in the eyes. I always enjoy those split-seconds when her heart beats a little faster, right before her reason drowns me out.

But mostly she just wonders if I’m vaporous or solid, or some kind of floating nebula of energy. I don’t blame her for not knowing. How can she, if she doesn’t know herself? I am, after all, part of her.

She wonders how, if I’m not nebulous, I must feel when I look through my telescope at the world I created. She wonders if, if I’m not vaporous, it was I who turned away from man or man that turned away from me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I like it, Lauren. I always really like the voice of your pieces. It's a very thoughtful voice.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

WOW I am impressed. My favorite part is... "She catches a glimpse of me sometimes when she doesn’t expect to. Stares me right in the eyes. I always enjoy those split-seconds when her heart beats a little faster, right before her reason drowns me out."

Very interesting!

1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>