April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Friday, November 24, 2006

Wow.

I'm writing a research paper that is neverending. I think I could seriously write a dissertation on this subject -- the visuality of text.

I'm relating A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man to a visual portrait and then to visual theories. Which all lead to the Buddhist idea of tathata, or "thusness." I don't really know what that means, but I'm working on it...

Intriguing, I know. I'm sure you're thrilled. Point is, I've spent my whole Thanksgiving break reading and writing about this stuff.

But you know what? I'm thankful for it. Corny, I know. But gosh, I'm thankful that I can process this stuff; I'm thankful that I actually get excited about my studies these days; I'm thankful that there are such smart people in the world that come up with these advanced theories that I can read about and even attempt to understand.

And you know what else I'm thankful for? The times when seemingly dissimilar theories come together and coincide. Those moments make me realize that there truly is something greater that drives us to search for it. And that's what the Buddha termed tathata.


It pretty much goes without saying that I am 100%, completely, totally, thankful for the life I have been blessed with and the people that surround me.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jacki said...

That is so great that you have a positive outlook on your research paper. I too spent the majority of my Thanksgiving break writing a research paper. Mine was about men and women text messaging though.

Yeah, yours is definitely something to be thankful for!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Kasey said...

Hey! My research paper is on James Joyce too. I don't have a subject yet, which is scary because it is due on Tuesday! Ahh! Hope you do well on yours, though!

10:17 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hey! Whattaya know? Great minds think alike. What book?

Good luck on yours!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Kasey said...

I am doing "The Dead" from the Dubliners. I really liked it, and I thought that the line where he says that words are dull because none could be as sweet as her name was so romantical. And I think the last three paragraphs are some of the best writing in British Lit. I think I will have to expand my subject to include Ulysses. We'll see.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I haven't read "The Dead." I've read some of the Dubliners but not all of it.

And whoa. You've read Ulysses? That's impressive. That's on my list of things to read when I graduate and/or before I get my first book deal. :)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kasey said...

Are you crazy? I can't even read Mrs. Dalloway without a Brit. Lit. teacher holding my hand all the way through. The Ulysses thing is in case of an EMERGENCY, but I think I am on to something (3 days before it is due). I think I am going to discuss how The Dead is a perfect example of Joyce's theory of the epiphany. Crappy? Yes. C-worthy? Let's hope so.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, Joyce is the king of writing epiphanies. You could also look at A Portrait -- look at the last couple pages and there's sort of an epiphany. Just, you know, in case. And there's another major epiphany about half way through. If you need the page number, let me know.

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>