April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

What Goes Around, Comes Around

A while back, we had a test in my film class. The test was scantron, so I brought my trusty number two pencil.

The girl beside me asked if I had another pencil. I informed her that I did not. She proceeded to ask everyone around her. No one had an extra pencil.

The tests were handed out and the class began bubbling in their answers. But the girl beside me fidgeted and looked nervous, not sure what to do.

She then started to mark the answers on the test sheet itself with her pen.

I finished my test with plenty of time to spare, gave the girl my pencil, and left the classroom. (We could leave after we finished the test.) The girl thanked me and began bubbling in her answers furiously.

The next time the class met, I sat beside the same girl again. She thanked me for the pencil. "That was so cool of you. I was freakin' out." "No problem," I said. "No problem at all." But she made no intention of opening her bookbag, shuffling around, and finding my pencil.

And, in fact, she never gave me my pencil back. And it was my favorite one. It was a cool metallic silver cheapo Bic that I loved. And it's gone forever.

I mean, c'mon. Doesn't common courtesy imply that I was letting her borrow my pencil, not giving it to her? I thought about asking for it back, but it was just such a weird situation, that I didn't/don't know how to respond.

I sit by the girl in that class everyday. She's nice enough. Smiles and says "hi" when I walk past her. Lets me look at her notes when I'm absent. But no pencil. No freakin' pencil.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah man, what are you going to do if she actually starts using it righ in front of you?

6:48 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I will snatch it right out of her hand. Don't think I won't.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Kasey said...

Ha! I laughed out loud when I read this one. I would totally ask for it back too. I can see you looking at her belongings, wide-eyed, waiting to see the glimmer of your pencil poking out of her notebook. We are such nerds.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Well, ya know... if it was a machanical pencil, I would think that you let her "borrow" it, but sorry according to the official Pencil Loaning Handbook (PTH, Bic pencils are fair game... Sorry I don't make the rules, I just enforce them.

Wait a minute... Bic are machanical.

You better get it back girl!

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>