April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Friday, December 01, 2006

I Know My Blog's Been Boring Lately...

Sorry. Eventually, it'll be a little more interesting. I hope. But I'm not promising anything.

In the meantime, here's what's on my mind:

-- Finals/Papers. I'm not quite overwhelmed yet. I think I'll be okay this semester. Doesn't look like it's going to be too tough.

-- NYC. Can't wait to visit. December 14-19. I don't think I've been this excited about a vacation since I was a kid.

-- The weather. I wish it was a little cooler so it would actually feel like fall/winter. But it's nice. And it's supposed to get cooler over the next day or two.

-- A diet. That's right. I started a 6-week diet on Monday. It's tough, but I have to wear two fabulous bridesmaid dresses next summer and I want to do the dresses (and myself) justice.

-- Creative Writing. I have a critique next Thursday, and I'm not feeling too great about what I turned in to be critiqued. Oh well. What can ya do, eh?

-- Grad School. Okay, I won't graduate until Spring of 2008. But I've been looking at different Creative Writing programs (lucrative, I know). Looks like the best ones (that I would want to go to. Sorry, Iowa.) are all in NYC. (The New School is at the top of my list.) It makes me really excited to think about the courses they offer. How will I afford it? Who knows?

-- Sufjan. (I know, don't roll your eyes.) He just released his Christmas stuff (officially), and it's really nice. Which brings me to...

-- Christmas! I love the classic Christmas stuff -- white lights (not blinking), old Christmas hymns/Handel's Messiah, cold weather, the smell of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves, tacky Christmas sweaters (just kidding about that last one). But really -- what I like the very best is the way people interact with each other around the holidays. Everyone seems just a little more considerate and friendly. Call me an idealist or an optimist. (Wow. Have I ever been accused of that?) But I think it's true, for the most part.

-- The people around me. I am really thankful for even the smallest acquaintance because other people are what makes life most interesting to me. Not the stuff in my head. Although that's pretty fun, too.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenn is applying to Grad Schools out here, and the best programs she's found are at NYU, Columbia, and CUNY.

I went to The New School my Freshman year. What about it has attracted your interest? My Concentration was Creative Writing initially, but I have to tell you that the professors and Grad students were...less than inspiring. That's what drove me to Psychology and then to Religious Studies. My friend Luke (who was in my class and actually graduated from that program) later told me that it was "a waste of 3 years of [his] life and money." I don't know what it's like now however and we were judging the Grad program on the Grad students we knew.

On another note, I love Christmas-time!

4:40 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Really? That's interesting. Of course I'd love to go to Columbia, and I'll probably apply there, but...

The New School has a program that just looks more interesting to me. I like that they have individual classes that help you write dialogue or describe landscapes or whatever. And it's downtown. And it's cheaper.

However, if I went to Columbia I'd get to study under some pretty great authors probably. And I'd pretty much be guaranteed a book deal. (Almost.)

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>