April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Update

I know I haven't written in almost a whole month. I've enjoyed being pretty sloth-like over the last couple of weeks. But I have gotten off my butt and done a few things over the holidays. Here's an update:

-- I visited New York. It was interesting. That's a whole post in and of itself. In a nutshell, it's changed a lot since the last time I was there a year ago. I'm not completely sure that I want to live there again...

-- I went Mac. I bought a MacBook. I love it. So pretty and white and shiny.

-- I ordered the aforementioned boots and I'm waiting to get them next week.

-- I read an entire book on the Creative Writing Master degree (where to go, how to get in, etc.). It's made me super-excited about grad school. I still don't know where I want to apply, but the guy that wrote the book said to apply to at least eight schools. Yeah, I still have a year and a half left, but I'm just thinking ahead.

-- I finally figured out my schedule for next semester (i.e. next week). It's the perfect schedule. I'm pretty excited about it. I'm taking Spanish 2001 and 2002, American Fiction, my last History class, and Philosophy of Religion. Nice.

-- My holidays have been great and relaxing. Hope yours have been, too.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bilaeva said...

Congratulations on the shiny new computer - those Macs really are lovely things. And it's never too early to start planning ahead for grad school. That really isn't something you can throw together at the last minute. It would have nice to go have a nose around Columbia while you were here. Still nevermind... makes for a good excuse to come for another visit!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Welcome to the mac ranks. Now you can be smug and turn your nose up at those silly PC users.
I LOVE the 3rd party apps for mac and especially the FREE ones. Here is one that you might like that I just stumbled onto:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/note-taking/download-of-the-day-task-list-mac-225442.php

8 schools? REALLY? Baugh! I say 4 at the most but what do I know? I only am applying to one for my PhD, yes, thats just how confident I am. I think I applied to 4 for my masters. Applying to 8 schools would have cost me $400! Sheesh.

I also recommend going somewhere way out of your comfort zone. Although living in the east made me love the pacific northwest even more I am sooooo glad that I did it.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, I've, um, kind of decided against Columbia. It's so expensive and they take in seventy creative writing students a year (versus about 12 at most schools). I don't want to be in a program that big.

And I'm still trying to figure out a lot of things about my Mac. I can't figure out how to install Firefox -- everytime I think I've installed it, it's not there the next time I log on. It's on my desktop, but I have to kind of reinstall it every time. Any ideas?

8:43 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

This article might make the process a little easier:
http://www.lifehacker.com/software/mac/hack-attack-a-guide-for-switching-to-a-mac-224674.php

About half way down there is a bit on installing applications. There is a little learning curve because everything is just a little bit different but once you get used to it there is nothing better.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thanks, Ryan. That article did help. I think.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care what anyone says--Macs are just as easy to ruin and make crash as PC's. Plus Mac interfaces are too gooey for my taste.

Also, why do you think you wouldn't like to move back to NYC? Because of the social changes, or simply because you're enjoying life where you are enough that you don't feel the need to move up here again?

1:51 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Okay, Debbie Downer (Ian). Every stinkin' piece of technology ever created has flaws. Macs are no exception. But it's so shiny and white and pretty.

Re: NYC. Yeah, the social changes are the main thing. I just understood that life goes on without me (as it should) and that my place has been phased out. Which is fine and the way life works. But I always create this nostalgic past and think it's accurate. And sometimes it is accurate. And sometimes it's not. I just think that maybe it's time for me to create a new place for myself somewhere other than New York. That's not to say that I won't apply to schools there, because I probably will. But it's not the only place on my list.

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie Downer? Psht. I'm far more hostile and bitter than that lightweight.

I've just had so many people (ad-execs and consumers alike) trying to cram Macs down my throat that I have come to resent them. The way Mac users tend to speak of their devices, you'd think they were shards of Sophia herself...

And I know exactly what you mean about moving on.

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>