April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Wallow in it.

Warning: If you have a tendency toward depression, you should probably NOT read this post.

Somebody told me once, "Oh, yeah. You're one of those people that listens to really sad songs." I took offense to that. "No way," I said. "I like a lot of fast, rockin' songs. Uh-uh. I don't just listen to sad songs."

I give you: The 25 Most Exquisitely Sad Songs in the Whole World

I have 9 of the 25 on my iPod which, I think, is a pretty high percentage. On top of that, I've listened to three of those today alone. (Which ones, you ask? See if you can guess.) So maybe I am one of those people that listens to really sad songs. Huh.

I would like to add a few to Spinner.com's list, though:
  • Joni Mitchell: River ("Wish I had a river I could skate away on.")
  • The Smiths: Please, Please, Please ("Please, please, please, let me get what I want. Lord knows, it would be the first time.")
  • Aqualung: Good Times Gonna Come ("This is just one of those lonely nights. Good times gonna come.")
  • Bill Withers: Ain't No Sunshine ("Wonder this time where she's gone. Wonder if she's gone to stay.")
  • Wolf Parade: Modern World ("Modern world I'm not pleased to meet you. You just bring me down.")
  • Weezer: Butterfly ("I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.")
  • Sufjan Stevens: Casimir Pulaski Day ("In the morning when you finally go, and the nurse runs in with her head hung low, and the cardinal hits the window.")
  • Simon and Garfunkel: Sound of Silence ("Hello darkness, my old friend. I've come to talk with you again.")
  • Death Cab for Cutie: What Sarah Said ("Love is watching someone die.")
  • Billie Holiday, Roberta Flack, or any rendition of: Smoke Gets In Your Eyes ("Oh, so I smile and say, 'When a lovely flame dies, smoke gets in your eyes.'")
  • The Clash: Lost in the Supermarket ("I'm all lost in the supermarket. I can no longer shop happily. I came in here for the special offer: Guaranteed Personality.")
  • Damien Rice: Volcano ("You give me miles and miles of mountains, and I ask for the sea.")
  • The Decemberists: Clementine ("And we'll find us a home built of packaging foam that will be there 'til after we die.")
  • Anything by Elliot Smith ("Got a broken heart and your name on my cast. And everybody's gone at last.")
  • The Beatles: Blackbird ("Blackbird singing in the dead of night. Take these broken wings and learn to fly.")
  • Any Rendition of Cat's in the Cradle ("When you comin' home dad? I don't know when, but we can get together then.")
  • Leadbelly or Nirvana: Where Did You Sleep Last Night? ("In the pines, in the pines, where the sun don't ever shine, I'll shiver the whole night through.")
  • Nirvana: Something in the Way ("Something in the way. Ummmmm.")
Okay, my list grew from "a few" to several. What songs would you add?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>