April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Listening to Nick Drake on a warm, quiet (and lonely) summer night is just not a good idea. Makes me feel that if I survive this part of my life intact, all the rest of it will be a breeze.

So I put the iPod on shuffle: Bob Marley's "Waiting in Vain." Great.

But oddly enough, I'm grateful. For what, I can't put my finger on. I've got a weird, calm peace. Maybe it originates from the knowledge of self that comes from being alone? Or a contentment with the belief that I'm on a good and exciting path? Who knows? Not me. I'm too close to the forest to see the trees.

2 Comments:

Blogger Frey said...

Fellow traveler, it was good to see that someone else had passed this same way and left a note. I had the same experience yesterday walking alone through the parking lot at Walmart. Memories of companionship, like the faint din of laughter through the trees made the quietness even more solitary. I resisted feeling lost and looked with certainty to the path. Then a strange peace came over me, and I was grateful for the still beauty of passing through the trees. In my knapsack the sustaining appreciation of the wonders I've seen and anticipation of what will appear through the next rise buoying my steps.

12:38 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hey, Frey -- thanks for the comment and welcome to the blog-o-sphere, my friend.

Eloquently put. I like the whole juxtaposition of the Walmart parking lot to a wooded path. Good to know I'm not the only one out there feeling lonely when walking into a Walmart. :)

(Not sure if I know you or not, but you must be or have been an English major or something. Not a comma spice in the whole comment. Impressive.)

3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>