April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Friday, May 20, 2005

On videos

There's this guy, Kool Keith, who is an "Animator/Digital Artist." He's also our neighbor and friend. So I was checking out his website(s) which are jam-packed with interesting...stuff. This is no amateur stuff, people. I'm talking videos, websites, photos, animation. Everything. Good stuff.

So I was looking at his videos, and there's this particular one of sights in Hong Kong that I really like. Watch it now before you read on. Go to video #2 (titled "pause") and click on "view project" on the left-hand corner.

Now watch Lexia's video of New York. (By the way, you should really explore both of these websites, even though Lexia hasn't finished hers yet.)

The methods that the different perspectives of these two cities are conveyed were really interesting to me. Makes me want to psychoanalyze things. Or people. Keith went more for a depiction of the movement of the busy city of Hong Kong, while Lexia went more for the structural, concrete images of New York. Both focused on the vibrance of the cities, and the music added to each was completely different but evoked similar emotions. (Maybe they're both in minor keys? I don't really think so, though.) Lexia's video gave off an innocence or quiet reflection, but Keith's, though completely different in style, definitely emits similar, resonating tones. So basically, I'm trying to say that to be so structurally different, these videos are oddly similar and relay an almost wistful reminiscence of each of the cities.

Sorry folks, that would have been more eloquent if it wasn't 4:30 AM and I was still capable of coherent thought.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, there's just so much talent in the world, isn't there? I liked both videos a lot. I really like that Lexi used slow music for her video; it's such a . . . dichotomy. But I like the fade-into-white effect that Keith used. Anyway, neat post; neat videos. Please tell Keith that I liked his a lot (Lexi already knows I like hers.).

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>