April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

My Newest Project

I spent entirely too long compiling a bunch of songs today. Like three hours or so. I went on NPR's website and downloaded about 15 songs to my desktop only to find that I can't burn them onto a CD or anything. I thought I was being smart, trying to beat the system. I should have known that there are smarter people out there that block people like me from beating the system. But at least I have 'em on my computer now.

This compilation is a singer/songwriter compilation. Possibly one of the saddest compilations I've ever, umm, compiled. It's also maybe one of the best. But you can decide for yourself. C'mon, you know it's going to be kind of...introspective if Elliot Smith and Jeff Buckley are included in it.

I don't care if you don't listen to this kind of music or if you've never heard of even one of these people or bands. These songs have no genres or barriers. I mean, you could listen to Pat Green (Parker) or Amy Grant and still like these songs. Not that any of these songs resemble Pat Green or Amy Grant. They don't. Sorry.

Elliot Smith: "Let's Get Lost"
Clem Snide: "All Green"
Israel Kamakawiwo'ole: "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World"
Sufjan Stevens: "Godbird"
Sufjan Stevens: "All Good Naysayers, Speak Up or Forever Hold Your Peace"
R.E.M.: "At My Most Beautiful"

Bright Eyes: "Lua"
Wilco: "I am Trying to Break Your Heart"
Rob Stillman: "The Dance"
The Kings of Convenience: "Homesick"

Luke Temple: "Make Right With You"
Jeff Buckley: "Hallelujah" This link takes you to the homepage. Click on mediaplayer/jeffbuckley/media:audio-albums/grace and it's track #6. I know that's compliated, but this is the most awesome cover of the Leonard Cohen song I have EVER heard.

I can't find links for some of the ones that I have, so I haven't posted them. I've got some Richard Buckner, Damien Rice, Iron and Wine, James Mercer, Travis and stuff. I realize that I should have some folks like Rufus Wainwright, Teddy Thompson, and Ryan Adams on here. And I also realize that some of the ones that I've listed aren't technically singer/songwriters but more like bands, but how is that defined exactly? Granted, there is no singing on one song, so he's just a songwriter...but it's a hazy line.

And, nope, no Aqualung. If you want to add links or suggestions that would awesome.

If you only listen to one or two of these, listen to the Jeff Buckley song and "Godbird" by Sufjan Stevens. They are amazing.

I've been at this stinking computer for WAY too many hours today. My frontal lobe is sizzling. I quit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Helloooooo, Sufjan. He's cute. I like that song, but I don't know if I enjoy his voice a whole lot. I mean, it's nice, but I don't think I could listen to him for a very long time. Maybe if it was just the music, no lyrics. Ahhh, I dunno. Lately I just haven't been able to really "get into" music.
I really liked this post -- especially the bit about the lines between singer, songwriter, and band. Nice.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Braddah Iz (Israel Kamaetc. etc.) was a great talent and it's a shame he died so young.

My favourite "Hallelujah" cover is by Rufus Wainwright, but my favourite Leonard Cohen cover is either Peter Gabriel's version of "Suzanne" or Tori Amos's version of "Famous Blue Raincoat."

Your taste in music is superior to the common person's.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>