April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005

More

(Note: Because there is no underlining function here, and my italics don't seem to be working, I'm going to write the title of books in quotations. Which really bothers me.)

"The Secret Life of Bees" is an amazing book. Granted it's a little too much like "Their Eyes Were Watching God". (Which, by the way, I absolutely hated.) But this book isn't as bogged down in dialect and colliquialisms. This book primarily addresses the relationship between a 14-year-old white girl and the group of black women with whom she lives. It's set in 1964 rural South Carolina. (Like I really have to say it's rural South Carolina.) (Editor's Note: 1964 was the year that the Civil Rights Act was passed.) Without giving away part of the plot, there's a young black guy that she ends up, I don't know, liking? (Sara, I'm totally envisioning "Fine Johnny" during the descriptions.)

But a really cool coincidence, if it can be called "cool," is that in the book it mentions the killings of three civil rights workers in Mississippi. That's not cool. What is cool is that today -- TODAY -- Edgar Ray Killen (Man, did he live up to his last name.) was convicted for the killings. Read about it here.

Basically, in a nutshell, the point is a.) read the book, and b.) even 80-year-old KKK members can be convicted of a crime that they committed 40 years ago TO THE DAY.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking about Fine Johnny the other day, actually. Man. He was fine, wasn't he? :) Also, about the links...I had to change the html on my blog template page. I'll tell you how to do it later, K?

3:53 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Ew. Sounds complicated. Nevermind.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww. I liked Their Eyes Were Watching God. Although Zora Neal Hurston definitely isn't my favourite African-American writer: that honour is reserved for Claude Mc Kay ( http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/m_r/mckay/life.htm )

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't imagine what kind of posts would warrant sudden and complete deletion!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Let's just say that my brother goes to school in Alabama...

And the other two posts were from me in reference to his post that I decided to delete.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>