April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Monday, August 08, 2005

Can't think of a creative title, so "LAST WEEK"

Right. So I was in Georgia last week. When I was there, I referred to New York as "home". When I'm in New York, I refer to Georgia as "home". Which leads me to believe that I'm either a.) one confused individual, b.)homeless, c.)a dual resident, or d.) all of the above. I've decided that the transition from your parents' house to your own -- I mean, with a spouse, kids, and a dog -- is pretty tough and confusing. Independence sucks if you're alone. But I've been doing a lot of thinking and studying about trials lately (not that I view this part of my life as a huge trial) and I realize that I am really, truly grateful for this transition period or trial or whatever. I am learning more about myself now than I think I have learned cumulatively over the past 20-something years. I know people say that sometimes to justify the relevance of a "trial," but I am defining my goals, my opinions, my allegiances...

Wow. Okay. This was going to be a post about what I did while I was home. Tan-gent. So here's what I did when I was home.

The only thing that I have photos of was a little get-together that Sara dubbed the "Alt Re" -- as in Alternative Reunion. I realize that the word "alternative" has a certain connotation, which is stupid. But that's exactly what this get-together was. (Is "get-together" a Southern term?) My class was having our 5-year reunion on Saturday night, but I flew back to NYC on Saturday morning (eeeearly). So we had a little reunion of our own. Which ended up being 4-5 people from Central High School's graduating class of 2000. Yeah, we know how to throw a shin-dig down South. People bailed for various reasons all of which were justifiable -- I guess. Sara took pictures and posted 'em on her blog. I've snagged a few. Or if you want to view her superior post, here it is. Here are those pictures. (Yeah, I realize the irony that the photography student didn't take any pictures of her trip.)

This is Keri. She's been my friend the longest of anybody. We've been friends since the third grade. Everybody say, "Awww." Yeah. And this is Reed, her, umm, date? Boyfriend? ;)




Ugh. I don't really like this picture of myself but, for the sake of accuracy... This is Sara, Paul, and me (obviously). Sara, as most of you know, is freakin' awesome. Paul is a friend. From high school. With a beard. And a Pink Floyd shirt. Who is also freakin' awesome. (Not to downplay the awesomeness of Keri and Reed. That's a given.)




Paul and me.




Sara, me, and Keri. Good times, man. Good times.



If you want to get the scoop on the afterparty at Sara's house -- complete with pictures of me -- go to her blog. Here's the link, again.

Basically the rest of the week was a crazy blur of seeing people I haven't seen in quite a while (what's up Scarlet?), hanging with my lovely family (including my grandparents on both sides of my family), seeing my mom's new media center (glorified name for a library), a really fun tetanus shot and TB skin test, and shopping with Sara (who was so patient when I couldn't find a single red shirt that I liked).

It was REALLY difficult to come back to the city. But when I got in a cab from LaGuardia to my apartment, the weather was beautiful, I had my window down and I could see all of Manhattan to my right as we crossed the Williamsburg Bridge. And I realized it was good to be "home."

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Home is where the people you love are (family/friends/pets). It's a place you're proud to be associated with. It's where you feel comfortable. It's all these things, and you can definitely have more than one. I know I do. And another thought, last fall, I lived at 171 East 81st street, but I felt like your place was my home. Thanks for that.

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, thanks Lauren. You're such a nice friend. And you look great in ALL of your pictures!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's no shame in not knowing where your home is (Hebrews 13:12-14). I tend to think of "home" as where I am staying at any one particular moment in time. Except California, because it is hateful in my sight.

And Sara is right. You looked great in all of the photos.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey lauren,
I know I havent been a very good friend when it comes to reading your blog and commenting on them. Im taking this time to comment. Im glad your alternative reunion worked out and I totally understand about how you feel about NYC and home...Be well and I will see you at the end of the month...alejandro

8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel so special to get my name in your blog! It was so good to see you! I hope it won't be so long before I get to see you and Sara again!

4:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw! I got my picture and my name in your blog. I'm supposedly your oldest friend, yet this is the first mention of my name ever! :)
Anyways, we really enjoyed ourselves at Miller's Friday night. I'm glad I got to spend time with Sara. Reed and I really enjoyed talking with her. Especially due to the fact that you really didn't talk to Reed, Sara, or me! Ha Ha! Just kidding. Anyways, I do enjoy reading your blog. A shout out to your old friend in Carrollton from time to time would be nice.

Love ya!
Keri

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lauren, I love reading your blogs. It reminds me of the conversations we had at the gym. I miss those a lot. You are one cool girl. Say hi to Tim and your dad for me. I miss you all. God bless you,

Clif

9:08 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Man! Look at all of these compliments! I knew keeping a blog was a good idea...

Thanks for the really nice comments everybody!

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>