April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Word of the Day

Thanks to Merriam-Webster Online, I now know what "amphibology" means. You can sign up and get an email sent to you with a new word everyday.

I like this new word. I think it's one of my favorites.

amphibology \am-fuh-BAH-luh-jee\ noun

: a sentence or phrase that can be interpreted in more than one way

Example sentence:
Not wanting to voice what I really felt, I resorted to amphibology and said, "I can't say too many good things about her."

I'm thankful for: my Mama Jo and Paw Paw. Gosh, I love 'em. I wish everybody could have their own Mama Jos and Paw Paws. The world would be a better place.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, that IS a good word. It reminds me of one of my favorites: equivocation. It means to avoid committing oneself in what one says, especially with the intent to deceive. It's basically the same as amphibology, but I like the sound of equivocation more. It sounds great when you say it in an English accent. Amphibology could be good that way too, I guess.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>