April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Wow. What is the name of this band?!?

That would be Mascott.

My mom's car has an XM radio and there is an awesome station called XMU (I guess because indie music = college radio). So I was listening to that station tonight and I heard this amazing song by a group called Mascott (yeah, with two T's). The song was called "Off Blue". I've looked everywhere for an MP3 to put on here, but I just can't find one.

This song was perfect. Just perfect. Let me start by prefacing that, believe it or not, Mascott is a girl. A girl singer. A lot of you know that I am not the biggest fan of girl singers/grrl bands/chick rock, etc. With the exceptions of Kim Gordon and Kim Deal (from Sonic Youth and The Pixies/The Breeders, respectively). But this was a girl with her acoustic guitar and a clear voice singing about, from what I gathered, becoming happy -- getting herself "off blue", metaphorically speaking. Enter violins and a minor chord and you have a really mellow ballad. One may say, "Minor chords and violins? Seems kind of contradictory to be singing about making yourself happy," right? But it was surprisingly optimistic and, if nothing else, just clear and refreshing and beautiful.

All of the MP3s I've found of hers don't live up to the brilliance that I just described. She kind of sounds like That Dog in all of the other songs. But just for the sake of it, here's a link. (Note: If you follow this link in a public place, make sure you mute your computer. There are little cheerleader icons that say, "Rah! Rah! Rah!") Cute website, but slightly annoying.

Also heard a band called The Mobias Band. Fans of The Postal Service should check 'em out.

I'm thankful for: How fast the human body can heal itself. Or regenerate? Is that the right term? What I mean is, I'm thankful that, if my feet hurt when I go to sleep, in the morning they feel great. I guess, technically, that means I'm thankful for my youth, huh?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you feel about The Cranberries or Siouxsie & the Banshees?

3:29 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Hmm, good question. I used to really like The Cranberries a lot. I haven't listened to them in a while. But they're Irish, so that doesn't count.

And I've never really listened to Siouxsie and the Banshees. Yeah, I've heard their songs, but I've never really listened. So I couldn't say.

I do like old female singers like Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald. And Edith Piaf. But they have -- or had -- deeper voices.

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting distinction. For the most part, I don't like Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, but that's mainly because I've never liked jazz. I agree, there is a richer quality to their voices however.

Siouxsie can do some amazing things with her voice, as can Kate Bush (though I imagine Kate might be a bit too high for your tastes). I recommend the albums "Hyaena" and "Superstition" by Siouxsie & the Banshees, particularly for the lyrics.

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golly, jeepers, where'd you get those peepers, Ian?!? PEEK-A-BOO!!! I LOVE Siouxsie and the Banshees! Now Lauren, about this Mascott girl. I'm a little surprised that of all the female voices, you pick hers. She can "sing," "play the guitar," and incorporate nice additional "noises," but she also sounds like she should be on the Felicity Sophomore year soundtrack. Hmmm...The Concretes are a million times better (I don't care what you say). And I think Ian might like The Concretes. One of their songs is in "Elizabethtown" (if only I could go back in time and buy a bag of socks for $10 instead of watching THAT movie).

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>