April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

SOOF-yawn

So, as I mentioned earlier, Sara and I went to a show at the 40-Watt in Athens last weekend. Half-Handed Cloud was the opening band/guy. I commented to Sara, who openly disliked him, that I think the guy is more of a poet than a musician. His lyrics were interesting, but his voice was really high-pitched. I could never be a real music reviewer. I just figured this out. I cannot, for the life of me, say that this guy sucked. But I wouldn't go out and buy his record. Although, I'm sure he's a really nice guy...

And then, after what seemed like FOR-EV-ER, ol' Sufjan came out in his little patriotic jumpsuit made out of that papery material that windbreaker jackets used to be made of. (Pictures courtesy of Sara Snow who also covered the event on her blog.)



Let me preface this by explaining that Sufjan has made a goal to make an album about every state. He's already released his Michigan album, titled "Greetings from Michigan" and, most recently, Illinois (titled "Come on feel the ILLINOISE!"). He and his band, "The Illinoisemakers," played an awesome show. I say "awesome" because I am comparing it to the one in New York that I saw (at the Bowery Ballroom). This show was so much better. Here are the reasons:

a.) the 40-Watt in Athens is a much smaller venue than the Bowery,

b.) they played more songs off his other albums instead of solely from his newest albums, including more songs from "Seven Swans" which is my favorite album of his,

c.) I've bought another one of his albums since the last show so I knew a larger percentage of the songs he played,

d.) there was no mean girl beside us during the opening act that yelled at us for talking during the set like there was at the Bowery,

e.) I didn't just find out that day that I couldn't get in-state tuition like I did at the Bowery show, and

f.) a Southern crowd is much more enthusiastic and accommodating.

(I'd like to know, from a musician, or I guess any performer, that's been onstage with lights in their face, if they think it's possible to see one face in the crowd. Do you kind of seek out any pair of eyes and just hold the stare because you're not thinking about who you're looking at? Or because you're concentrating? I'm not asking for any reason, in particular. I just have a theory... I'm seriously curious.)

Sufjan in his cheerleading get-up. Notice the Superman doll. They have a song about Metropolis which, apparently, is in Illinois. (It's really more fun than cheesy. Really.)



They played about an hour and a half. I think. Don't even ask for a set list. I'm not one of those concertgoers that can ever remember set lists even if I make a mental note to remember all of the songs. And even if I know every song that they play. But I do know that he played a couple of songs off of Seven Swans as the encores.

Here's a picture during the encore:




If you haven't noticed, I have a little crush.


On a different note, I have AOL Instant Messager now. My AIM username is lookoutlad (who knew, right?). It's free, so download it.

I'm thankful for: a room that's getting cleaner and more organized everyday.

Goodnight.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, shucks. I think your post is better than mine. I liked it for these reasons: a) the music reviewer discussion; b) list letter e; c) your mention of a crush -- seriously, if I was anyone other than me, I wouldn't have known that if you hadn't written it; d) the stage lights/crowd question; and e) the fact that you made a list of reasons -- sometimes I forget about lists. . .

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to answer your question about seeing people on stage... generally, you can't see anything because all the spotlights are blinding you. lol, it makes it a little easier to not be so nervouse too.

2:06 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Dang. I thought he was looking in my general di-rec-tion. What if he was in front of all of the lights? Could he see then? :)

5:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lexi and Sara say: What if he were in the middle of the stage and half of the lighting was in front of him, and half was behind him, and a concert-goer was in the middle of the floor, and that concert-goer's friend was using her flash on her camera, would he be able to see me -- I mean, would a musician be able to see any one particular person -- then? Gulp. Just wondering.

10:36 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I mean, just hypothetically... :)

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>