April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Time to vent.

I'm going to do some reflecting on the word "naive" or, more precisely, the act of being naive.

The word itself is derived from a form of the word "natural" which indicates that a person is in his or her natural state when he or she is naive. It indicates that naivete is the untainted, clean state of man.

But there is a negative connotation to the word that I just don't understand. The word does not mean close-minded. It means beautifully natural. But when someone calls you naive, don't you get defensive? Isn't your first reaction to deny that you are naive and shout, "I am not!"

The word "innocent" doesn't carry as much negativity as "naive" but has virtually the same meaning. Does the word "naive" somehow imply that a person is stupid or ignorant while "innocent" has no such implication? I'm just wondering here.

Why isn't our first reaction to feel flattered when someone calls us naive?

And by the way, "naive" is not the correct word to use when a person willfully chooses to not participate or buy into the same (usually liberal) beliefs as another.

Enough of that.

I'm thankful for: YOU. Seriously. Stay safe.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, naive has become a derogatory term. I would imagine that this usage arose during the age when educated and "cultured" peoples believed themselves to be more highly developed and evolved, and "primitive" peoples were considered both innocent and ignorant, particularly of the complexities of civilised life. Sounds like the product of good old-fashioned Enlightenment arrogance. Can't you just see the foppish, seventeenth-century Parisians sniggering over the "naivete" of their provincial countrymen?

Also, I'm sorry but I can't stay safe. My job testing parachutes while blindfolded, handcuffed and anesthetized is simply too important to me!

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post, Lauren. Really. I agree with you 100%! "Sheltered" is also one of those bothersome words. It's often used in place of "you choose not to do some of the things that the world does."

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm. Notice the time on Ian's comment. I think this Ian and I have the same sleeping patterns. :0

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>