April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

"Roads. Ro-ads."

You know, I pulled up beside a big transfer truck today at a red light and I was right beside his tires. 'Leopard' was the particular name of the tire and it was written on the side of it. I literally looked at the word 'leopard' for probably two whole minutes trying to figure it out. "Leo-pard? Lay-o-pard?"

Maybe it's because I took a couple of Benadryl last night. Or maybe I was having a momentary lapse of consciousness. Maybe it was the angle of the tire.

My point is, isn't it weird when a word you've known since first-grade suddenly looks completely foreign and alien to you? Like the word "does", for instance. Such a weird word. It's like looking at your own hand and suddenly seeing a stranger's.


I'm thankful for: 40-degree temperatures. And a fireplace.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was hilarious, Lauren! Loved it.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I pulled up to a big transfer truck once and was scarred for life. I will not repeat what I saw. Let's just it wasn't the word "leopard."

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny, but I've spent so much time on the road over the course of my life that trucks no longer register in my mind. I mean, I know they're their and my autopilot manages to steer 'round them, but I only notice them as obstacles...like fallen trees or land-slides

Also, YAY! More words from Lauren!

12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>