April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Monday, April 14, 2008

Parallax

I'm pretty sure that "parallax" is the coolest word and coolest concept in the history of words and concepts.

Parallax is "the apparent shift of an object against the background that is caused by a change in the observer's position" (wikipedia). In other words, you know how when you cover one eye and look at a fixed object, and then switch and cover the other eye, the object looks like it's moved or changed? That's parallax.

Maybe I'm boring you, but the point is, parallax is a metaphor that James Joyce uses to describe variant points-of-view and perception shifts in Ulysses. How cool is that?

I'm boring you. I can tell.

If I had a band or a record label, I'd call it Parallax. Or maybe my first novel will be titled Parallax.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

Or maybe your first child could be named Parallax - it's almost like two of me in one!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah -- parallex. I get it.

But don't hold your breath on the name thing.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

new business idea -- parallaxative

i'm just sayin'

-shan

6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>