April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Monday, March 10, 2008

So poetry isn't my chosen means of expression, but I'm warming up to it.

I have to write ballads and sonnets and dramatic monologues for my poetry class, but all I really want to write is stuff like this:

I have two trees in my backyard,
One is a conifer variety of trust,
The other a variegated truth.
The needles of the trust fell last season.
The evergreen is never green.
Not anymore.

The limbs of the trust are thick
But brittle.
When ice coats the bark,
Branches split and snap.
And the pulp is left exposed.
Freezing.

The variegated truth blooms and buds,
the seasons unheeded,
Leaves unfold to reveal --
Contrast.
Variations of little white lines.
Little white lies.

The branches of the truth yield easily
to gusts of wind.
Bounce back to announce:
Nothing has changed.
Air is just air, no matter the strength
Or velocity.

8 Comments:

Blogger Bilaeva said...

I don't normally care much for poetry ... But I like that!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thanks, G!

I'm definitely an amateur, and I have no desire to be a poet, but I enjoyed writing it.

Unlike the ballad that I just finished.

12:33 AM  
Blogger Frey said...

Lauren, I really liked it. Not that I understood it all. But the imagery of the tree breaking was crisp and invigorating, lingering in my mind like the way skin remembers cool bracing weather after coming indoors.

Your blog is certainly blooming this season. Hopefully it's a reflection of new vigor...

12:37 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Thanks, Frey. I think it is a "reflection of new vigor." I'm happy. It's spring. My life's good. Why shouldn't my blog reflect that, eh?

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...you won a contest in high school with your poetry didn't you, or am I mistaken?

Barry

9:27 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Barry, I totally forgot about that. You're right. I did win a contest in high school! That's cool that you remembered that. And kind of scary that I didn't remember...

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

crisp and invigorating... i like that. much like lauren herself.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this one i have always loved --- along with #141 "in faith i do not love thee with mine eyes..." --- sure he's always just writing about poets and how great poetry is blah blah blah -- but all the same the sentiment here reminded me of your poem.



Let me not to the marriage of true minds

Admit impediments. Love is not love

Which alters when it alteration finds,

Or bends with the remover to remove:

O no! it is an ever-fixed mark

That looks on tempests and is never shaken;

It is the star to every wandering bark,

Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.

Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,

But bears it out even to the edge of doom.

If this be error and upon me proved,

I never writ, nor no man ever loved.


- Sonnet #112


shan

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>