April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Road Trip Anyone?

My parents moved from our 6-bedroom house in Carrollton, GA to our 1-bedroom/1-loft lake cabin in Alabama. Yesterday was the official moving day.

So yesterday I decided to surprise my parents and drive down to help them unpack. But it almost didn't happen. Because as I was driving west on I-20, I was SO close to just staying on the interstate and going as far west as I could go.

I thought, "Hmm, I have a full tank of gas. School doesn't start until August 21st. I have my laptop with me -- I can just email my professor my papers by July 26th. I just got my financial aid check. I've got my iPod and adapter. I should just keep going."

Let me explain things, though. I've been holed up in my apartment all week writing papers. On Friday, I wrote from 12-7 PM. (And I just got an email from my professor that said I should use a different point of view. That means a complete re-write.) I'm fine with not leaving the apartment and getting work done, and the longer I stay there, the less I want to leave at all. ( I know. I have to watch out or I'll become a hermit.) But once I hit the open road yesterday? Man, I was thinking about the Rockies. And the cooler air in the Northwest. And cedar trees. It's was really appealing.

I called Tyler to see if he could go with me after the 26th. He can't. I called Lexia. (She's unemployed like me right now.) No answer.

But at least there are trees in Wedowee, Alabama.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm, I would go with you. But I can't.

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A simialr feeling hit me right after I finished my last class; I realized that I was unemployed, unattached, unmoored and unhinged and the sheer wealth of possibilities seemed overwhelming.

The Northwest is really the only part of the West that I enjoy.

Is Alabama nice? I don't recall ever visiting that State before, but I'm sure you can imagine the impression popular culture has given me...

6:33 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, Alabama's pretty nice. We're on a lake in a rural area. There are a lot of national parks all over Alabama. I'm not saying that the stereotypes aren't based on truth...

I was planning on ending my roadtrip in Oregon. Maybe learn how to fly fish.

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coastal Oregon is gorgeous. And I love fishing.

Dang! Now I wish I could go...

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to go to the beach in Oregon where "The Goonies" was filmed. I want to meet One-Eyed Willie.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Shoot. One-eyed Willy always freaked me out.

I'm actually talking about somewhere deep in the mountains in Oregon. Like, say, I don't know, at least 40 acres in a little hunting cabin somewhere in Josephine County, Oregon. On a creek where I could learn how to fly fish and watch elk and grouse.

Or, you know, something like that.

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is making me want to watch "A River Runs Through It" again.

2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um Lauren... I'll go! No let me rephrase that... PLEASE TAKE ME WITH YOU!!! I LOVE the westside!

9:45 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah, "A River Runs Through It." That's the life I want to live. Including Mr. Pitt. Minus the gambling, death, etc. Oops. Hope everyone's already seen it.

Let's go, Jacki!

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>