April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

'Cause I know you just can't get enough...

Where's McBride*?


People constantly asked Charles (a.k.a. Red) if he was a native.


From the altar of one of the ruined churches on Inishmor


Trinity College, Dublin


A Medieval Castle (Can anybody remember the name of it? Laoughmore?)


From the same castle


There's not really a story behind this one. These guys (one's hiding behind my big noggin) wanted a picture with Kasey, and she dragged me into it.

* One of the funniest stories of the trip involves Thomas's kinfolk, the infamous McBrides of Connemara. While we were in Galway, near the beginning of the trip, McBride was standing outside one of the pubs. A couple of girls walked by and smiled at him. He said something like, "How y'all doin'?" This stopped them in their tracks. "'Y'all? Are you American?" (Like the t-shirt and work boots didn't give it away already.) Thomas explained that, yeah, he was an American. After they asked if he was Irish-American, he added that he was a McBride. He listened as the girls explained that he shouldn't tell people his last name around that area because the McBrides had been run out of that county because, apparently, they pillaged, raped and killed women, and better still, were "sheep shaggers." We gave him heck about that for the rest of the trip.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all your pictures. I want to see ALL of them!! Dr. Harper in our dept. might offer a class that'll actually go to Ireland next year. Wouldn't that be cool? We should both sign up, then ;o) I'm not too sad I won't be living there this fall because I'm sick of starting all over again, but then -- Man, what could be better than living in Ireland?

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being independently wealthy and living in Ireland?

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that might help since Dublin has becoem Europe's most expensive city. Crazy!!

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool to have had your family run out of town!!! I'm so envious

8:53 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Man, I'll have to look into that class. Keep me posted, Yvonne. Although, I really want to go alone (not with a large group) so that I can go where I want to go.

I wasn't a big fan of Dublin. Not impressed.

I've got a post on the way about my thoughts on Ireland (instead of just pictures).

And I think being independently wealthy ANYWHERE would be amazing because you could go anywhere you wanted...

G, it'd be even funnier if you knew this guy (McBride). He's a little cocky. Nice guy, but falls into a lot of the stereotypes associated with the jock/frat boy. God bless him.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>