April Birds and May Bees

Ain't no Literature here, folks.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

And It's Only March

This year has already become a great music one. If only for me. Here's what I've been listening to since January-ish:
  • The Shins, Wincing the Night Away: I figured that this album would be a little more perky than the last one (Chutes Too Narrow), because James Mercer got married in the interim. However, Wincing the Night Away is darker and more pessimistic, which is always fun to listen to.

  • TV on the Radio, Return to Cookie Mountain: AMAZING album. It's the black coffee of music. Definitely opaque, sludge-y coffee. It was perfect for the cold months of the winter, but now that it's warming up, I want something a little more... Cherry Kool-Aid. Which brings me to...

  • Patrick Watson, Close to Paradise: Okay, so he's not really Kool-Aid. More like slightly sweetened iced tea. Generally positive, a little Pink Floyd-ish at times (a la The Great Gig in the Sky), it's a great spring album, perfect for the transition months of March and April.

  • Elvis Perkins, Ash Wednesday: 'Poignant' is a totally overused word but, dang, does it fit this album. He's like a melodic Bob Dylan. Young Bob Dylan. Good Bob Dylan. I'm trying not to abuse it by listening too much.



  • Nina Simone, my own compilation: Classic. I just needed more good, old-fashioned, French, smoker, slightly off-key, awesome lyrics in my life. Thus, I have befriended Nina.




What about you? Share the wealth. What else should I be listening to? (Besides the new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album which is on the way.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

I love the new Shins album, but it took a little longer to grow on me than Chutes too Narrow.

As for my listening recently I've really been enjoying:

Joshua Radin
The Fratellis
The Long Winters
Air
Zero 7

and the most listen to song in my whole itunes library I purchased 2 weeks ago is a song by Royksopp called Remind Me. Its actually the song from the Geico caveman commercial that takes place in an airport. :-) It has a Postal Service sound that is total ear candy.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hm, I turn to you, Lexi, and Blake for new music.

So may I just remind you of the not-so-old oldies but goodies that I like to listen to in the summertime: The Cure (the poppy tunes), Pink Floyd (The Dark Side of the Moon), The Clash, Led Zeppelin. Personally, though, I'm all about Nirvana right now . . .

7:10 PM  
Blogger kelly said...

The Ponys, Menomena's new album is great, the new Modest Mouse is aight, Ben Lee (not exactly new but good for this time of year--poppy), Band of Horses also super good but not new, and I think you'll love the new Clap Your Hands album...also I don't know if you're into hip-hip, but I really liked The Coup's new album. Let me know if you want more.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Ryan said...

ek, I borrowed the new modest mouse and gave it a few spins. The best way that I can describe it would be the opposite of ear candy...would that be ear feces? Nine danke. Is their lead singer schizophrenic or bi-polar? He sounds like it on the album. All of the random shouts and going from angry to calm at the drop of a hat.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I know I'm a little tardy responding here, but in the off chance that any of you guys check this, I wanted to thank y'all for the recommendations.

I'm not a big fan of The Long Winters or Modest Mouse, but I have been wondering who plays that song on the Geico commercial. I LOVE that song. I thought it might have been Kings of Convenience, but it makes sense that it's Royksopp -- both are Norwegian bands. Interesante.

And you're right, Kelly. I am totally diggin' this new Clap Your Hands album. It is great.

6:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

/body>